Return to Sartre.org

Due to Spam, Auto Registration is closed. If you want to register, please send an email to mail @ sartre . org (all together) with the following information:
Desired user name:
Email:
Desired password: (you may change at a later time)

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread
Anguish and Fear (Read 8261 times)
Swally
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Anguish and Fear
06/03/03 at 13:19:14

Can anyone help me on how Sartre would feel about fear, and it's connotations?
He wrote a lot on anguish, anxiety, but what would he say about fear. Did he believe in a causal link, or follow Heidegger, or anything else? Or would passive emotions leading to a mental state mean that as long as the mental situation did not lead to a denial or ignorance of responsibility then sartre would be happy with fear being passive?

IP Logged
JPSartre
YaBB Moderator

Hiya!

Re: Anguish and Fear
Reply #1 - 06/04/03 at 21:48:08

First of all, I could not totally separate between Anguish and Fear. Both are related. If you are at peace (not fear the future) you would not have anxiety.

From Sartre's stand point. Passivity is worse then ignorance. Happiness due to passivity is when an individual is not aware of own's reality. Even with anguish and fear, an existenlialist would prefer consciousness of reality.

cry Roll Eyes Shocked Angry Grin

IP Logged
konah

Reply #2 - 10/02/03 at 22:45:42

Hi,

"fear" and "doubt", which are very closely linked in the manner they seem to dictate our thoughts are emergent qualities of desire and jealously (or the absence of something).  Sartre often discussed these emergent qualities when questioning a person's reasoning of something.  

In Jean Genet, Sartre points out his observations of a collegue who became discombobulated and lost his composure when Sartre challenged his reasoning and views about a particular topic.  The way he describes this person is of "fear" and "doubt", presenting themselves to his consciousness (I think we've all been there and can relate to this experience).  I do not think Sartre saw this as passive, malaise, or "bad faith", nor that one can exist as a free being in fear.  No, what I think he was pointing out, as in all his works, and clearer toward the end of his life is the understanding that being-for-itself is an act of bringing your thoughts into being...praxis and the existential project.  

Fear and doubt arise when your thoughts remain just thoughts because it cannot be located in the world.  Thus when Sartre pointed out a flaw in his friend's reasoning, the friend became fearful, doubtful that what he thought was in the world (evidence of his reasoning) no longer was.  

In observing this state, Sartre seems confused as well.  He questions why his friend cannot just accept his bad reasoning and why he is loosing it.  I do not think he thinks him in bad faith, for his emotions are genuine and he is not acting.

But this sheds some light on our everyday human interactions and how quickly people go on the defensive or get angry.  If you take away or the threat of what you thought was real is being taken away, its absence and your desire to signify it in the world  may give rise to fear and doubt.

Thus it seems to be a synthesis of nothingness and desire.  

Email   IP Logged
#sartre#
YaBB Newbies

Email me or send me
a messege if i'm
online!

Reply #3 - 03/18/04 at 18:40:46

Im sure sartre did feel fear and deal with it all by himself...getting no help.

#sartre#
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread