Return to Sartre.org

Due to Spam, Auto Registration is closed. If you want to register, please send an email to mail @ sartre . org (all together) with the following information:
Desired user name:
Email:
Desired password: (you may change at a later time)

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread
Sartre converted to Judaism before death (Read 6545 times)
magus
YaBB Newbies

YUPI

Sartre converted to Judaism before death
04/20/05 at 12:48:23

I read in the message boards that Sartre may have abandoned his philosophy and converted to Christianity / Judaism. Looks like the conversation took place with Benny Levy before Sartre's death.

IP Logged
MFolker

Re: Sartre converted to Judaism before death
Reply #1 - 01/05/06 at 09:03:37

Quote from magus   on 04/20/05 at 12:48:23:
... Sartre may have abandoned his philosophy and converted to Christianity / Judaism. ... conversation took place with Benny Levy before Sartre's death.

"Hope Now" is the bound version of interviews conducted with Benny Levy (a.k.a. Pierre Victor) a month before Sartre died in 1980. Levy had been explicating messianic Judaism (a form of Judaism where adherents purposefully await a messiah) to Sartre; Sartre was evidently fascinated with the aspect of "Hope."

Reading "Hope Now" hasn't convinced me that Sartre converted to anything; however, unlike too many of his intellectual peers, he always viewed Jewish culture as more than the byproduct of the Holocaust. Seems to me that he began to develop the notion that Judaism was really the Marxist dialectic come to life, rather than an artificial commodity produced by an uneasy alliance of guilt-inducing liberal journalists & compulsive Zionists.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print Mark as Unread